We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
A sandpit built by Papa is something very special for children. Read here how to build a sandpit yourself and what you should consider in advance.Children have a lot of fun in a sandpit
There is hardly a child who does not like to play in the sandpit. Building castles, baking cakes, moths and building streets for the play cars - a sandpit is a real play paradise for children.
But why always go to the nearby playground when there is space for a sandpit at home? Building a sandpit yourself is not that difficult and can be mastered by hobbyists.
Make preliminary considerations
Before you start building, there are a few things to consider. Once the sandpit is standing, it is usually too late.
Choosing the right location
Proximity to parents
Since children usually play very extensively and for a long time in a sandpit, the right location is extremely important. Especially with small children, the sandpit should be near the house or terrace, so that you can always keep an eye on your little one.
Prefer shady place
The sandpit should best get a shady spot. Direct sunlight should be avoided as far as possible. If you do not have a tree or similar within reach, a parasol or special sandpit roofs are of course also suitable.
Set the size of the sandpit
How much space do you have for your sandpit? Children need enough play space, especially in the sandpit. Sand boxes with a size of 1 meter x 1 meter are not advisable. Most of the time there is also a visit to children and then it quickly becomes too small.
Sandboxes with a size of 1.50 meters x 1.50 meters to 2 meters x 2 meters are recommended. The children and the toys have enough space here. In terms of height, you should expect at least 30 centimeters so that the children can dig properly.
" My advice: An inexpensive pad box is well suited for storing sandpit toys. They are always within reach, but it always looks tidy at the end of the day.
The right surface
In order for the water to drain off after a rain, it is important to have a proper surface. You have two options here.
- You can pave the piece under the sandpit with stones so that the water can drain through the joints.
- Another possibility is to put gravel on the floor and put on a layer of fleece. You can attach this to the frame with a tacker. In addition to draining the water, fleece also offers protection against weeds and small animals.
If you have decided on a size, you can get the material. For a sandpit 2 meters x 2 meters you need the following material:
- Fleece with a size of 2 meters x 2 meters
- Gravel to fill the hole
- 4 boards for the outer structure with a length of 2 meters, a width of 30 centimeters and a thickness of 2 centimeters
- 4 boards for the interior construction with a length of 1.64 meters, a width of 30 centimeters and a thickness of 2 centimeters
- 4 boards for the seat with a length of 1.82 meters, 2 centimeters thick and 20 centimeters wide
- Cordless Screwdriver
- about 250 kilograms of gravel
- Screws and nails
The right wood
Not every wood is suitable for a sandpit. If you build a sandpit yourself, you should use fir or spruce, for example. Ruby, larch or Douglas fir is a bit more expensive, but it is more resistant to wood rot. In the case of impregnated wood, you should make sure that the impregnation is as “child-friendly” as possible, with very little pollutant.
Build your own sandpit - that's how it's done
After you have made all the preparations, you can now start assembling the sandpit.
- Step 1: Dig a hole measuring 2.20 meters x 2.20. The hole should be half the depth of the boards. So in our example 15 centimeters.
- Step 2: Then the hole is filled with gravel.
- Step 3: Now start building the inside structure of the sandpit. To do this, place the boards in a square and then screw them together.
- Step 4: Spread out the fleece and attach it to the inside edges with nails or a stapler.
- Step 5: Now place this construction with the correct distance into the hole filled with gravel.
- Step 6: Next, the outer structure is built. The procedure is the same as for the inner construction. Place the boards in a square and screw them together.
- Step 7: This construction is now placed outside the interior construction. Here you should now work exactly to measure. The distance must be exactly the same at every point so that the seat lies exactly on top.
- Step 8: Now you only have to fix the seat with screws. Please make sure that the screws are anchored in the wood.
- Step 9: Finally, of course, sand has to be put in the sandpit. There is special play sand to buy in the hardware store. Unfortunately, the children cannot really bake cakes or build castles with this one. Gravel is much more suitable here. A trip with a trailer to the nearby gravel works is the better and cheaper alternative.
" My advice: If you have any problems with the implementation, you can call a gardening professional at MyHammer for help.
Cover for the sandpit
So that the sandpit is not used as a litter box, you should get a cover. Here are nets that are often used for trailers or a self-made cover made of wooden boards.